Update: We are no longer accepting applications for this position. Applications submitted before April 10th are being reviewed, and candidates will be contacted for interviews for the week of April 12th.
The Community Grocery Co-Op is a member-owned grocery cooperative focused on offering healthy, affordable food to residents of Wards 7 and 8 of Washington, DC. We are seeking an organizer to help drive a community informed visioning process and to manage various activities to grow our membership.
The organizer will be supported by over a dozen committed volunteers and member-owners, technical assistance from Beloved Community Incubator and future member-owners. The ideal candidate is committed to cooperative models of business, has experience as a community organizer and is excited to help bring about food justice in Washington, DC.
- Coordinate community visioning process and member growth activities, including collaborating with partner organizations, setting meetings and managing volunteer activities
- Coordinate with contractors and interns,
- Coordinate group projects and support needs, build strong relationships with member owners, and identify & develop ready leaders into clear membership roles using timely follow-up and one-on-one meetings, house visits, etc.
- Plan and organize planning meetings, events, actions, and other organizational activities and mobilize community members to turnout
- Track all member outreach, recruitment, retention, and event turnout
- Support member owners in leading monthly member owner meetings
- Plan and facilitate meetings with power holders and elected officials, and prepare members to share personal stories and make the ask (centering members’ experience and leadership in these meetings)
- Participate in other organizational activities, including communications, fundraising, events, trainings, grant reports, and other planning and learning processes
- Build campaign coalitions and foster relationships with key allies and partners; collaborate with fellow organizers on joint events and mobilizations
- Support community leaders to develop their leadership skills, climb the ladder of engagement, and learn to execute tactics such as facilitating meetings and leading community engagement/organizing activities
- Perform other duties as required
- Developing and lead political education trainings for members
Requirements, Experience and Skills:
- Clear and basic understanding of the cooperative model and food justice.
- Ability to develop and maintain a variety of relationships on multiple levels.
- Self-motivated with ability to work independently and with a team
- Ability to prioritize, manage multiple projects, and work under pressure to meet tight project deadlines
- Have a growth mindset and an ability to take instructions and utilize constructive feedback for growth
- Minimum 1 year of grassroots organizing experience and an understanding of principles of grassroots organizing
- A minimum 1 year commitment to this position
Additional Skills Considered:
- Experience organizing immigrant communities
- Experience in developing campaign strategy, planning and implementing direct action organizing campaigns, and utilizing digital organizing platforms (e.g. NGP VAN, Action Network, Every Action)
- Experience with communications strategy/tactics (e.g. managing social media channels, developing flyers and e-newsletters)
- Spanish language skills
Salary: $4,125 – $5000 per month, plus benefits
Community Grocery Co-op is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage BIPOC LGBTQIA people to apply for this position and will not discriminate against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.